Cottage Pie with Parmesan Mash
This recipe from australianbeef.com.au uses the flavoursome chuck cut of beef, which mingles beautifully with red wine and onion flavours.
- 600g beef chuck steak, trimmed and diced
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mixed steamed greens, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a large casserole over a moderately high heat. Lightly dust the beef in the flour and cook in a small amount of olive oil for 6 minutes or until nicely coloured. Take the meat out of the pan. You may have to do this in 2 batches.
- Add the onion and carrots to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until onion is lightly coloured and carrots are tender. Add the meat back in, along with the wine and stock. Bring up to the boil, cover and bake for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender. Mash until smooth, adding the milk and most of the cheese, reserving a little for later. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the oven up to 180°c, and place the meat into a baking dish. Spoon the mash on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until piping hot and nicely coloured. Serve with broccoli and green beans.